You’re Invited to our Grand Opening!
You are cordially invited to a weekend of celebration and community-building as we officially open the Homework House at the Avalon Village to the world with a ribbon-cutting ceremony, concert, community events and more!
Each day will feature different events celebrating the newly renovated Jakobi RA Park, the Homework House, and more:
- Friday – “Community Day” an official ribbon-cutting ceremony, community bonfire and free village concert featuring local and nationally-recognized artists and performers
- Saturday – “Back to School Day” a day of celebration of our proud youth including a school supplies giveaway
- Sunday – ”Movie in the Park Day” an outdoor movie projection complete with popcorn, hot dogs and soda
We’re excited to welcome our backers from across the country, and we stand ready to help make your Detroit trip as stress-free as possible! We’ve set up a hotline you can call with any questions about the weekend, (701)-4-AVALON, and an online carpool organizing tool* for folks interested in driving or catching a ride to Avalon from across the country. And if you’re looking to stay in Detroit for all or part of the weekend, here are two great recommendations for accommodations just a few minutes drive/cab from us:
- Hostel Detroit – With shared bunk rooms starting at $30 /night, this friendly hostel is a great way to get to know Detroit at an affordable cost!
- Trumbull and Porter Hotel – If you’re looking for more private accommodations, or traveling with family, this affordable Hotel also in the same quiet, safe neighborhood as the above option may be your best choice.
The public activities will kick off at 6pm on Friday, September 23rd with the official ribbon cutting and go throughout the whole weekend. We hope you’ll join us in Highland Park as we celebrate this momentous transformation in our community.
From blight to beauty with peace and love,
Mama Shu and The Avalon Village Team
*Disclaimer: Avalon Village assumes no responsibility for drivers or passengers traveling to/from the village and/or using this voluntary carpool organizing tool