Mama Shu Wins Awards
February and March have been award-winning months for Mama Shu and Avalon Village. We are proud, humbled and honored to announce Avalon Village is a finalist in Fast Company Magazine’s first-ever World Changing Ideas Awards! A panel of 25 judges reviewed 1,000 entries from around the world to select the winners. Look for the issue featuring Mama Shu and Avalon Village, due out in April.
We have also received recognition for our work from a number of prominent local organizations including Ford Motor Company, General Motors, The Roeper School and Career Mastered. Mama Shu has been called a “game changer,” an “inspiration” and a leader in our community. We are so touched by these honors.
The village now has quite a collection of beautiful plaques and statues to place in our new headquarters when it’s delivered this spring (see photo gallery below). These awards will serve as a reminder of all we’ve accomplished and all the hard work that’s yet to come. Passion, persistence, determination, focus and drive have gotten us this far – and will continue to propel us forward – as we tackle our goals for 2017 and beyond. Thank you to all who have supported us and continue to cheer us on!
Here’s an overview of the awards we’ve received:
- Fast Company Magazine: World Changing Ideas Awards Finalist
- National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ): Trailblazer Award
- Ford Motor Company African-Ancestry Network: Community Service Award
- General Motors African Ancestry Network: Inspiration Award
- Career Mastered: Women’s History Month Leadership in Action Award: “Game Changer”
- The Roeper School: Golden Apple Award
“Ms. Harris, our committee feels that your dedication to founding The Avalon Village, and bringing national attention to this important initiative in our city, is truly exemplary. Your commitment to rebuild Highland Park by reducing blight and making the neighborhood a safer place for children to thrive is amazing and we are honored to recognize your service.” – Ford Motor Company African-Ancestry Network
Avalon Village has also won the following awards in previous years:
- Highland Park Business Association: President’s Award
- eWomen Network: Humanitarian of the Year Award
- McDonald Phelps Foundation Award
- Doll Legacy Award
- Highland Park Business Association: Community Spirit Award
Awards: 2012, 2011 and 2010
- City of Highland Park: Beautification Award (3x winner)